Last update: March 16, 2012 —
a week late because of snow fall, but the race is on!
TRDMA's main event of the season,
the Two Rivers 200 is a qualifier for many major long distance races,
including the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race and the Yukon Quest
International Sled Dog Race.
In 2012, there will be a 100 mile and a 200 mile race. Both will start as
usual at Chatanika lodge, and the Two Rivers 200 will end at the Pleasant
Valley Store via Angel Creek Lodge. Unlike previous years, however, there will
be a new checkpoint at Two Rivers Lodge, with some changes to the trail in in the
middle section of the first half of the race.
Two Rivers 100/200 Race Rules 2012 and the
are available for for download.
The race start will be Friday, March
9 16, 2012, with a mandatory mushers' meeting
on Thursday, March 8 15.
Please mail applications to the address indicated
on the application form (Two Rivers Dog Mushers Association,
PO Box 16201, Two Rivers, Alaska 99716) by March 1, 2012.
Please note that participants need to be members in good standing. If you haven't
joined yet, please also include a Membership
Form and the applicable fee for the membership type of your choice.
For any questions, you can find us at our
Facebook page, the TRDMA
mailing list, or
by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
NEW! Final update after the volunteer meetings on Feb 24, 2012 and Feb 28 at the Two Rivers Lodge and on March 6 at Two Rivers School. Attending: Mike Green, Jason Weitzel, Mike Ellis, Eric Cosmutto, Sandy McKee, Bill McKee, Scott Chesney.
- Thursday, March
8 15, Two Rivers Lodge: 6 pm AKST - registration
and spaghetti feed ($10). 7pm AKST - start of bib draw.
- Friday, March
9 16, Chatanika Lodge: 9 am AKST breakfast buffet,
including coffee or tea ($12 adults, $8 children 10 years and under)
and start of pre-race vet checks. 10 am AKST (or as announced): mushers' meeting.
noon: race starts.
- Sunday, March
11 18, Two Rivers Lodge: 6 pm AKST (7 pm AKDT) -
Awards Banquet. Tickets ($25) can be bought at the bib draw and at the start.
Participants receive a free ticket.
Trail and checkpoint notes:
- Chatanika Lodge to Two Rivers Lodge: 47 miles
- At Two Rivers Lodge, there will be a 1 hour mandatory rest for 200 mile mushers and a 4 hour mandatory rest for the 100 mile mushers. The start times will be adjusted here.
- After leaving Two Rivers Lodge, the trail will wind through the Taurus Hills area before entering the Jenny M drainage. The trail will cross under Jenny M bridge, then turn right and do a large loop before getting to Pleasant Valley Store: 50 miles
- At Pleasant Valley Store, the 100 mile race will finish. The 200 mile mushers will have punch cards for the rest of the 10 hour layover.
- After Pleasant Valley Store, mushers will follow trail under Jenny M bridge again and follow the Flat Top Mountain trail to the Chena Hot Springs Trail. Will then continue to Angel Creek Lodge: 52 miles
- Return on same trail from Angel Creek Lodge to Pleasant Valley Store finish:
Notes on rules and procedures:
- Straw and drop bags: The race will provide 1 (one) bale of
straw for each 200 mile musher at the Pleasant Valley Store checkpoint.
Transport of any extra straw as well as drop bags is the responsibility of
the handlers. Straw and drop bags must be transported to and left at the
designated areas at every checkpoint. Please notify the checkpoint personnel
when you arrive with your drop bag(s) and/or straw.
Should a musher wish to leave straw and/or a drop bag at the
Two Rivers Lodge checkpoint, we recommend to bring it to the bib draw event
on Thursday evening. There will be an area protected by a tarp to leave straw
or drop bags overnight.
- Mandatory rest: The total mandatory rest for the 200 mile
race is 10 h in 1/2h increments. Mushers will be provided a punch card, which
will be validated by the checker at each checkpoint. It is the musher's
responsibility to check out and make sure the card is punched.
- Sleeping areas: The Pleasant Valley Post Office will be
used as a musher sleeping area overnight. At Angel Creek Lodge, a cabin will be
available as a sleeping area.
- Two Rivers Lodge: Coffee and water will be provided outside,
and mushers will receive a meal ticket for soup and hot bread. There will be hot
water for the dogs, but it will be well water with iron in it - mushers can use snow
as an alternative. Dog truck parking will be well away from the Lodge,
where parking space is limited. Volunteers will be at hand to shuttle handlers
back and forth.
- Pleasant Valley Store: One bale of straw per 200-mile participant
is provided here. The Pleasant Valley Store offers fuel and groceries for sale.
- Angel Creek Lodge: All mushers must have left the Angel Creek
checkpoint by 10 am on Sunday morning at the latest. Angel Creek Lodge offers
food (such as hamburgers) for sale and a free snack for mushers.